Saturday 12 May 2007

Installed beryl, urban terror still no wireless :(


In the last day I got beryl working on my desktop.

beryl is basically a very slick desktop manager that allows you to open multiple desktops arranged in cubes and applies many fun effects to your windows. This is certainly something I'll be showing off to all my friends stuck on XP or Vista.

Download Beryl (only available on Linux as far as I know)

Excellent tutorial on using Beryl at ArsGeek

----
UPDATE: I have now removed Beryl because I needed to reinstall Ubuntu. I didn't put Beryl back principally because it does chew up a lot of resources and I spent most my time flipping round the cube admiring my desktop.
---

I've been wasting a great deal of time playing Urban Terror-a quake mod that plays like Counter Strike.

Download install files.

To install you need to download both the ioUrbanTerror file and the chunky UrbanTerror file.

Once downloaded extract the io file, then extract the UrbanTerror file to the Linux folder within ioUrbanTerror.

Open the Linux folder in ioUrbanTerror, right click ioUrbanTerror.1386 select properties. In the properties open the permissions tab and check the execute option (see below)

















This done you will be able to launch the game! Prepare to get pwned.

Unfortunately my wireless connection is still not working :(. This is the one aspect of Ubuntu I am hating. Having been used to easy wireless anywhere being stuck plugged into the router is pretty frustrating.

No comments: