Saturday 12 May 2007

Upgarding to Ubuntu and saving files from Windows partition

Initially I had Ubuntu installed on a partition with the safety net of being able to run my old Windows XP OS.

I am now only running Ubuntu. The transition from partition to full hard disk domination was tough.

Although there are all sorts of guides on using Gparted to resize various partitions and squeeze out Windows all of these guides invariably involved -sudo and mount/unmount commands. I may now be a linux user but I'm still a moron so I employed the following solution.

1. Use the file browser to access read only versions of files on window partition
2. Burn them to CD or shove them on a usb.
3. Insert Ubuntu boot CD
4. Turn off computer
5. Turn it back on
6. Boot ubuntu from CD
7. Select install then full disk install
8. Make a coffee
9. Spend an hour or so finding and reinstalling all my old ubuntu apps
10. Pull files off CD's and USB
11. Doubt wisdom of decision when I can't access wireless network

So thats it no more windows for me.

Don't try the above unless you are prepared to permanently lose all your windows apps and files-if you do not own (by own I mean you paid for it) your PC this is not for you.

No comments: