Sunday 13 May 2007

Ubuntu: Setting up Amarok, a decent media player

So it's time to get Ubuntu playing me some music. Aside from browsing the web the main function my lap top serves is media player.

First of all I need to get all my old I-Tunes files off the 3 dvd's currently housing them.

After consideration I set my music folder up in the home folder (this is really the only place you can put it). Setting up the folder is a matter of navigating to my home folder and clicking new folder. Pretty frikkin easy.

Because i-tunes stores files as MP4s I'm going to need to make sure I have all the right codecs (things that let you play media).

Now add/remove won't let you get them because in some regions downloading these codecs might be illegal. So you need to get hold of an incredible application called: Automatix

This can be downloaded here.

Open it with whatever comes up as the default when you click on the link.

You open Automatix in Applications>System tools

Please note that you must not run Synaptic at the same time as Automatix (just make sure that you have not opened Add/Remove).

Click on Codecs and Plugins select all of them (unless there is a legal issue in your area) then click Start.

Go have a coffee or a smoke because this may take a couple of minutes.

I had to agree to at least one window and got a 'fatal error' regarding some swiftfox plugins I didn't have. Since my computer is still running I wont let this stop me and am going to go ahead and get Amarok.

Amarok can be got through Accessories>Add/Remove. Ensure that you have selected to Show: All available applications.

Simply search for Amarok tick it and then click OK then apply etc.

Amarok will then be available in Application>Sound & Video.

When you first launch it will ask what files your music is in. Choose the appropriate folder. It will ask about configuring an SQL database. I have used SQL but it's late and I'm not sure how SQL works on Ubuntu so I used the default sql lite option which sets Amarok to thinking and then BLAM my music player works.

---
UPDATE: The i-Tunes files that I bought from the store are not currently work, presumably because there is now no evidence I actually bought them-will let you know how I resolve this (if I do resolve it).
---

Why is Amarok so good-well I'll post more as I get used to it but it looks nice, supports multiple formats, works with I-Pods (allegedly) and pulls tonnes of information about the music you love.

This was a pretty painless install for me so obviously my relationship with Ubuntu is beginning to improve.

Thats it for tonight-tomt

No comments: